1 package (350 g) of beef fondue meat
1 package (57 g) of onion sauce mix
1 tbsp oil
1 c. mushrooms, sliced
1 big onion, cut in half and then sliced thinly
4 10" sub buns
4 slices of Provolone cheese
Salt and pepper
Iceberg or Boston lettuce, shredded thinly
- Separate each and every piece of fondue meat, place them individually on a plate and set aside (I know, it may sound tedious but the end result is so worth it!).
- Prepare the onion sauce according to the directions on the pouch (I went with the microwave method since it is faster and less of a hassle). Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Throw in onions and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and saute until slightly golden.
- Bring heat down to medium-low.
- Pour in the prepared onion sauce, stir the mixture and warm up for a minute or two.
- Add each piece of meat to the mixture, one at a time, and stir until everything is well coated.
- Cook, while stirring frequently, for a couple of minutes, until you notice meat is losing its pink color.
- Keep warm on low.
- Butter the inside of the subs with a bit of garlic butter.
- Place under the broiler, inside facing up, for about a minute, or until buns turn golden.
- Top the subs with the slices of cheese and return to broiler for about a minute, or until cheese is just starting to melt.
- Fill subs with meat mixture and top with shredded lettuce.
- Cut in half if desired.