Bathtub Crayons
Arts & Crafts Activity

Sunday, September 16, 2012
Turn bath time into a creative time with bathtub crayons for your little tots! Even better, double their fun by letting your kiddos create their own crayons with this easy do-it-yourself activity! How exciting!

Essentially it's pretty much like making coloured soap, which is, for all you newbies out there (including myself), ridiculously easy to make. I bet you anything, it's easier than you think! Moreover, imagine all the savings by making the crayons yourself! Looking for gift ideas? These bathtub crayons make amazingly cute and fun gifts for any occasion. 

Hereafter are two different methods for homemade bathtub crayons. 

The material needed

Method 1
  • Glycerin soap, opaque or transparent (you can find some at an arts and crafts store)
  • Food colouring 
  • Ice cube tray, muffin tins, dixie cups, etc.
Method 2
  • 2 c. grated Ivory soap
  • ½ c. warm water
  • 12 drops of food colouring (your choice of colour)
  • Ice cube tray, cookie cutters, muffin tins, etc.


The how-to

Method 1
  • Cut the soap into smaller squares, or grate it.
  • Put into a glass measuring cup or bowl (microwaveable) and make it melt in the microwave for about 30 seconds. 
  • Stir it and microwave for another 10-15 seconds if needed. 
  • Once the soap is entirely melted, add the food colouring to the liquid soap and stir. This step is exceptionally fun because it allows you to demonstrate to your children how to experiment with colours. You can teach them how to mix colours and create new ones! 
  • After you have mixed your colours into your melted soap, pour it into the ice cube tray. If you can get your hands on the a tray for water bottles it's even greater since they are more crayon shaped. 
  • Let the soap cool down and set for approximately an hour before popping it out of the tray.
  • Let the bath fun begin!

Method 2
  • Combine the grated soap, water, and food colouring up till it becomes too difficult to stir. If you are looking for different coloured crayons, mix only the soap and water together, then split mixture into numerous portions. At that point, add the food colouring of your choice into each individual mixture. Be creative! 
  • Just as you would knead regular dough, knead the mixture until it becomes very thick and firm. 
  • Press the mixture into whatever molds you have chosen, or, with your hands, mold the mixture into large shaped pencils.
  • Place in the freezer and remove after about 8 minutes. 
  • Pop out of the molds. 
  • Allow the crayons to harden for at least 24 hours before using.
  • Have fun!




13 Fabulous Comments:

Unknown said...

How fun! Going to have to try this for sure :)

Susan said...

I saw your post on fb! This is brilliant.

Unknown said...

So creative! I will have to put this on our "to do" list. My daughter is crazy about bath time, these would make it a lot of fun for her.

Allyson Bossie said...

omg I am so going to try this. My mom insists on buying us Ivory soap by the case, but it is so harsh on the skin. I even have a dinosaur and brain ice cube tray!!! What a fun project

Happy Gardening, Kim said...

oh so cute. I' buy these from somebody if you make them!!! really!

Suenvegas said...

Great Idea!! (as long as clean up is a breeze!) :)

Unknown said...

How fun! I will have to make these soon!

Mudpiesandtiaras said...

Wat a neat idea!!!!

Unknown said...

These look like so much fun, I'm sure my daughter would love them! Thanks for sharing the directions!

Trisha @ Momma T and Baby E

Unknown said...

How neat! I wish I had had something like this when I was a kid! I can't wait to make some and see how my son reacts! Such a creative idea! Thanks!

LOVE MELISSA:) said...

What a great idea. That is really so neat!

Amanda Tempel said...

I wish I would have had bath tub crayons when I was little! XD

Lolo @ Crazy About My Baybah said...

Oh my gosh, I so have to make those!! Awesome!

Post a Comment