Spider Candle Holders
Arts & Crafts Activity

Sunday, October 14, 2012
Are you excited? Halloween is almost here! I feel like a kid again when October 31st comes along! A mysterious spookiness fills the air. Everything seems to turn frightful and eerie. Hocus pocus, the Halloween spirit comes down upon us!

What will be needed
  • Mini pumpkins 
  • Black pipe cleaners 
  • Tea light candles 
  • Pen 
  • Knife or any kind of carving tool of your choice 

How to create it

  • To make the job of tracing your candle on your pumpkin easier, take the wax portion part of your candle out of its casing. 
  • Place your casing on top of your pumpkin, open side down, and trace your circle. 
  • Next, pick your favourite carving tool and cut into the pumpkin, going around your drawn circle. (Piece of advice, try to cut in the inner circle, only becasue you're better off cutting too too small and making it bigger later, than cutting too big and your candle falling in!) 
  • Next, time to gut your gourd! Scrape the inside of it and try to clean it out as much as possible. 
  • Place your candle back into its casing and place it into the new hole you just created in your pumpkin. If need be, widen your opening a little, but make sure to keep it a snug fit. Push it down to be as flush as possible without it falling into the pumpkin. 
  • Now what you want to do is mark out where you want to place your 8 spider legs. 
  • With the help of a sharp tool, make tiny holes into the pumpkin flesh. Make sure they are deep enough so that the pipe cleaners will push in with ease and yet hold in place solidly enough. 
  • Cut your pipe cleaners in half to give you your 8 spider legs. Insert your pipe cleaners into the leg holes. Bend the pipe cleaners at approximately the middle of the legs to create knees, and afterwards bend at the tip to make little feet. 
  • Hurray! Your very own spooky scary spider candle holders! Neat huh?! 
  • If you would like, you can decorate your spider pumpkins with eyes, mouth, or any feature you desire. 

Happy Halloween everyone!



17 Fabulous Comments:

Mudpiesandtiaras said...

Those are so cute! I had to pin it! What a cute and easy idea!

"Iowa Mom" said...

OMG - LOVE IT! I know that is sappy but I do!!! Totally have to create this one. Share!

Mama to 5 said...

very clever! What a great simple and fun idea!

LOVE MELISSA:) said...

What a cute idea. I love the spider dangle holder!

Mrs. Stephens said...

Thanks looks like so much fun. I can't put out candles because I have a 15 month old who is touching everything but I will have to try this soon

Alisha K said...

These are so cute and wouldn't scare the little kids away, like some decorations.

Unknown said...

Wow! That is absolutely adorable! I am going to have to do this!

Unknown said...

I'm loving these, Such a neat idea! Thanks for sharing!

Happy Gardening, Kim said...

Love it...I think I have all that stuff to make one!!...If I can only find the pumpkin that Brody had...do not know where he put it!!

Edge Of Insanity said...

Creative! Unfortunately, I'm not that crafty so I guess I can pin it for next year!

Allyson Bossie said...

omg that is so cute! I am not craftsy, so you can mail me some maybe? Joking, but they are so cute!

LisaLisa said...

WOW, how cool! My kids would love to make these. Wish I was a crafty person.

Kelly said...

I love this....Thank you for sharing..

Anonymous said...

what a cute idea...but I might wake at night and think they are real, LOL

Mama Luvs Books said...

SO AWESOME!! What a great idea!! LOVE creativity!

Tammylyne said...

these are adorbs!! I am definately going to try and make them for Halloween

Icar said...

looks so real, this is a great idea for Halloween! thanks for sharing...


Icar
http://mycharmedmom.com/

Post a Comment