6 c. chicken stock
2 c. water
4-inch piece of fresh ginger, chopped
11/2 lbs chicken breasts
1 lb rice noodles
1/4 c. lime juice
1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
4 green onions, chopped coarsely
2 red serrano or Thai chiles, seeded and sliced thinly
3 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped coarsely
1 c. bean sprouts
- Cook the noodles according to package directions.
- Once cooked, drain and set aside.
- In the meantime, in a large pot, bring stock, water and ginger to a boil.
- Add the chicken, return to a boil and then reduce the heat.
- Simmer, covered, about 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken, let cool and the shred coarsely.
- Return broth mixture to a boil and add lime juice, fish sauce, green onions, chiles, and shredded chicken.
- Let it simmer until hot, stirring occasionally.
- Place a handful of noodles (or desired quantity, depending on the portion size you want) in each bowl, add broth, top with some bean sprouts and sprinkle the cilantro.