1 1/2 lb ground beef
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 c. celery, chopped
2 c. carrots, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 package of onion soup mix
1 can (796 ml) diced tomatoes
1/3 to 1/2 c. barley
6-8 c. water (depending on how thick your prefer the soup)
1 rounded tsp beef bouillon
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add beef and sauté until brown.
- Add the celery, carrots and onion and cook until vegetables are soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Bring heat down to low and simmer until barley is cooked (varies depending on the type of barley used but usually about an hour).
- Adjust seasoning.