Potato Bacon Chowder
Recipe

Friday, October 26, 2012
I am in love with chowders. Up until now, the clam was my all-time favourite. Until I made this one. Now my heart is thrown between the two! There's something about this type of soup that wins me over. Maybe it's the richness and deepness of the flavours... All I know is that this potato bacon chowder is child's play to make and is a delight to eat! It is a true hearty, warm-your-soul kind of soup. Great for those fall and winter days where all you need, is a little comforting! 

1 pack of bacon, slices cut into 1/2" pieces
3 lbs small new red potatoes, cut into 1/2 to 1" cubes
4 medium onions, chopped
2 c. sour cream
2 1/2 c. milk
2 cans (284 ml/10 oz. each) cream of chicken
1 can (540 ml/19 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained

1/2 tsp dried thyme

  • In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Do not cook longer, you will just end up with overcooked bacon! 
  • Add potatoes and onions. 
  • Continue cooking over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender (about 20 minutes). 
  • Add all remaining ingredients. 
  • Continue cooking over low heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through (about 10-15 minutes). 



13 Fabulous Comments:

Mrs. Stephens said...

That looks so yummy. I am definitely making this very soon. Pinning it as well.

Jessica said...

Yummy! I want this now..even tho it's breakfast!

(¯`•¸Geca¸•´¯) said...

I'll try to cook this for my family minus bacon :D
Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Pinned this! It sounds really really tasty!

Mrs. Stephens said...

I was so excited to make this with the storm coming but I forgot the sour cream but I am defiantly making it soon

Kelly said...

This sounds yummy. I will have to make it. Thank you for sharing...

Young At Heart Mommy said...

This sounds delicious. I am happy to see a chowder minus the seafood :) Normally I stay away from chowder because it always seems to have clam or some other sea creature inside. I' all about the bacon though.I would make this for my family and my little girl who loves soup!

Pam said...

This looks and sounds delicious and it seems very easy to make. I do not like most chowders related to the sea either but this one seems strictly meat and potatoes to me. ;)

Suzi Satterfield (@MotherhoodLooms) said...

Oh, this looks delicious! Pinning. :-)

dragynally said...

And now I'm hungry! Looks really good and easy to make.

Happy Gardening, Kim said...

I would LOVE this...w/out the bacon. Thanks for the recipe - I've got potatoes I need to fix...this is perfect and perfect comfort food!

Wren said...

Looks yummy! It is starting to get chilly, even here in northern California. Time for some heart warming soups & Chowders! :)

Unknown said...

omg this sounds so good!! im going to have to try this =]

Post a Comment