First time I made this dessert was Valentine's Day 2010... three years ago already! Wow does time ever fly by! My boyfriend and I were celebrating our first Valentine's Day together and so I was on a personal mission to make it as special and memorable as it could be. You know, trying to win some brownie points! Success it was!
And so now here we are, three years later, and Valentine's Day only a few weeks away. Thinking back on how fantastic this dessert-for-two was, I thought I would make it again in order to share it you and help you in your Valentine's Day meal planning... oh, and spoil my boyfriend also, of course!
1/3 c. sugar
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1/3 c. milk
1 tbsp butter, melted
1 egg, separated
1 tsp lemon zest
2 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven at 350° F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp of the sugar, flour and salt.
- Whisk in milk, butter and egg yolk.
- Whisk in lemon zest and juice.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg white until soft peaks start to form.
- Beat in remaining sugar, 1 tsp at a time, until stiff peaks form.
- Stir about one-quarter into lemon mixture; fold in remaining egg white.
- Scrape into two 3/4 c. ramekins.
- Place in 8x4 inch loaf pan.
- Pour enough boiling water into pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake in centre of oven until the top is lightly browned and set, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from water.
- Let cool on rack for about 30 minutes.
- Serve warm or cool.