I have tried on many occasions to bring slight changes to my recipe in order to perfect it. After several trials (and not so many errors), I think I have finally concocted the best recipe! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped
1 bell pepper (red, green or yellow), chopped
2 tbsp garlic, minced
4 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 lb. ground beef
2 cans (19 oz each) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, with juice
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 can (156 ml) tomato paste
1/2 tsp salt
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander, pepper flakes, oregano, and cayenne.
- Cook the mixture, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add beef.
- Cook until no longer pink and just beginning to brown, making sure to break up the meat.
- Add beans, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid and continue simmering, stirring occasionally, until chili has obtained desired thickness, about another hour.
- Adjust with more crushed tomatoes or paste to the desired consistency, if needed.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary.