1 pack or 2 tsp of unflavoured gelatine
2 tsp of light corn syrup
1/2 cup of water
2 lb. of icing sugar, plus more for dusting
Food coloring, assorted colours
Flavour extracts (mint, lemon, vanilla and orange)
Disposable plastic gloves
Cookie cutter in the shape of heart *
Edible Colour Markers **
- Pour gelatine, corn syrup and water in a small microwavable bowl and stir until the mixture is homogeneous. Cook in microwave for 30 seconds. Stir to dissolve gelatine.
- Pour the mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or in a large bowl and mix with a hand mixer. Add 1 cup of icing sugar and mix on low speed until the sugar is well incorporated into the mixture.
- Continue adding the icing sugar one cup at a time and stir between each addition. Scrape the bowl occasionally and continue to mix until you obtain a soft dough.
- Sprinkle the work surface and the dough with icing sugar. Knead the dough with the heel of the hand. Sprinkle with icing sugar as needed to prevent the dough from sticking. The dough will become smooth and pliable.
- Divide the dough according to the colors of candy chosen and form balls with each piece of dough.
- Put on gloves, take a ball, flatten it like a little pancake and pour a few drops of food coloring and flavouring at the centre.
- Fold the crepe in half and knead until the color is evenly distributed. Repeat this step until all balls are colored and flavoured.
- Sprinkle the work surface and the rolling pin with sugar. Roll a ball of candy with rolling pin to desired thickness. The usual thickness of store-bought candy hearts is about 1/4 inch.
- Using cookie cutter, cut out shapes in the dough and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Continue until the whole ball has been transformed into small candies. Repeat this step with the remaining balls.
- Let the candies air dry for 24 hours before writing on them to prevent the ink from running. Once the candies are dry, use markers to write messages or draw pictures.
- Store candies in an airtight container at room temperature.
* Tip: These candies are perfect for any occasion! Prepare them for the various seasons or holidays of the years by opting for cookie cutters in the shape of an egg, rabbit, leaf, Christmas tree, bell, crown or snowman.
** Tip: You don't have edible markers on hand? No problem! Dip the tip of a toothpick in food colouring to write your message on the candy!